Friday, January 20, 2012

For Women - Part 1

PERIOD.

A great topic of discussion...no matter what your age or what you call it...menstruate, rag, time-of-the-month, crimson wave...(what do you call it?!).    Well, I LOVE getting my PERIOD!  Yes, I know that might sound odd, but I do!  I love it for many reasons...

I got my first period when I was in 9th grade...and really I was considered  a 'late bloomer' compared to some of my girlfriends, who got theirs as early as the 5th grade.  Some adults would say to them, "Oh you poor thing!  You're too young to be menstruating.  What a shame!"  Statements like this made the 'early bloomers' feel uncomfortable and awkward.  But from my perspective, I was envious.  I wanted to get my period.  I was excited to mature...to become a young woman...to be treated  as an adult (or so I thought). 

When I finally got my period, I felt more confident.  Kind of like I had this secret that I kept from the boys that just made me extra special.  Even when I would get cramps...I appreciated them!  It made me more present...more alive...more in touch with my body. 

This is the way I look at it, the cramps, water retention, the heightened emotions, the chocolate cravings (all the PMS stuff) are all signals that, YES, I am getting my monthly visitor.  It can help explain, why I'm crying over a cheesy movie, or if I am craving something decadent it's OK to indulge (within reason of course)...it means as soon as my period comes, I'll drop 3- 5 pounds of water weight - whew!!!  Really, if you put a positive spin on these things, you'll understand what I am trying to say here...

Period = healthy.  There was a time in my life that I struggled with anorexia and bulimia.  I was under 100 lbs.  I didn't get my period for over a year...I became amenorrheaic and unhealthy.  Fortunately, I did not suffer any bone loss...but during this time, the gynecologist told me that my uterus had shrunk to the size of a 90-year-old woman's!!!  This was terrifying to me.  She told me that I had put my body into an early menopause.  What the hell was I doing?!  Why was I intentionally starving and hurting myself.  This was a huge wake-up call.  

When I finally started menstruating again (after a long time of nutritional and spiritual guidance) I felt like "me" again.  Getting my period meant, I was not pregnant (a good thing at the time when I was in college) and getting my period now means I am fertile and can some day conceive!  It's what makes us so unique from men...even though I think most men get a sutto period each month...minus the bleeding ;-) 

My take away message is, don't use your PERIOD as a scape goat.  Don't act like it's a handicap and men should "feel bad" for us or think it's disgusting...tell them to get over it!  It's natural...no matter what your normal cycle is...b/c it varies with every woman...1x per month or maybe every-other month...it is unique to you and makes you a wonderful woman. 


1 comment:

  1. That's right Bizzy Mind! We are all special and should be proud of being women! You have great advice, insights, and tips. Thank you,

    DD

    ReplyDelete